life of a teacher just above the arctic circle...

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

one down. eight to go.

On August 7th I arrived in Kotzebue with very little in expectations and a lot in the way of fear and curiosity for the year to come. Now, September 7th, I am feeling....about the same...ha.

I have been here exactly one month. And a fast month that has been. I have learned a lot! And I think I probably have grown a lot..not the kind of growing that hurts because its too  much too fast. Or the kind that makes you change who you are or where you were going. Just growth. General growth in knowledge and in strength...is that a kind of growth? Here are some things I have learned from the Arctic Circle thus far..

1. Fun is way more fun when you make it up on your own.
2. Going out on a limb doesn't have to be scary. It is sometimes fun.
3. Arctic Waters do make you catch a cold.
4. Patience truly is a virtue.
5. Running the same 8 mile loop over and over again is really boring.
6. Colorado should never take their bright sunshine for granted. Even places that are bright all day and night don't compare to those bright Colorado rays.
7. The arctic tundra changes colors in the fall also. Its not just tall trees.
8. Life really is what you make of it.
9. 1st graders are adorable in every culture.
10. You can easily be a lazy teacher...but it is not nearly as fun or rewarding to do so. 
11. To be a not-lazy teacher one must work their buns off!
12. Riding on a 4 wheeler is always colder than walking- only ride if you're dressed accordingly.
13. Reindeer meet tastes good.
14.My hands are constantly swollen in humidity.
15. Dirt+ Rain= MUD, MUD, MUD!
16. Setting high expectations does not discourage- it motivates.
17. 1st graders can be annoying in every culture.
18. Laughter really is the BEST medicine.
19. When laughter doesn't work- hard work probably will.
20. Alaska is a cool place.



I am certain there is much more of Alaska and Kotzebue to take in. For now, things seem like they are starting to settle down and my life and place here is beginning to form. So far, I like it. But I miss home a lot too.

 Today when I walked to school there was no sunrise like usual. Instead it was dark. And the street lights guided me.

I have a lllloooooooooonnnnnggggg and ddddddaaaaaaarrrrrrrkkkkkk winter ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment