life of a teacher just above the arctic circle...

Monday, September 13, 2010

boredom shmoredom.

Kotzebue thus far has been relatively easy on me....OR, perhaps my sense of ease is gone. It is my first year teaching...everyone said I would cry a lot. No tears yet. But, it has certainly been a challenge... nothing I couldn't look right in the eyes and wrassle to the ground...or at least fight until we both tired and moved right along to the next challenge.

Kotzebue thus far has been exciting. Lots of new people, things, views. Lots of free time to let my mind be flooded with the thoughts I used to set aside until there was time to think. pa-lease. who has time to think in the lower 48...? no one. right. and probably no on in Alaska either, unless they just moved here and have one commitment each day, work. so, my mind is wandering. my mind is being fancy free. my feet are foot-loose too. i go and do as i please. its pretty sweet.


.......................

for a while.......
..........until the edges of boredom begin to creep in. i can feel them trying to grab at me and force me from my blissful state.  i have never handled boredom like a mature, busy adult. instead, i moan about it. being bored is so dang....boring. though its nice to be free of responsibility i still can't help but wish i was begging to sit on the couch and relax..instead of actually relaxing. haha. gosh. i am so lame. and a typical american at that. i beg and beg for some free time to just relax and so i give myself the perfect recipe for relaxation...and here i am complaining of boredom.

anywho. i have made a pact. no more letting life live me. no more just sitting back and complaining that life is boring. rather, i shall make my life something thrilling. i know moving to alaska should be enough thrill for one girl for a year. but the town i moved to has two restaurants, a store, a gas station, a long road, and an ocean (which i can't go in cause its too cold to swim and i am boat-less).

but there is SO MUCH i could make of this little gem of place here in the arctic. and i shall. i will not be satisfied with simply resting for my weekend. i'll rest when i am dead. i will be a modern day explorer. and i will explore this life here in the arctic. because that has got to have more to offer than the extremely comfortable couch in the living room...right?

here is to adventure.
here is to excitment.
here is to conquering boredom.

2 comments:

  1. I just can't even begin to imagine you bored, much less sitting on a couch! Think I can UPS up 3 munchkins? I'm glad you will be out adventuring and can't wait to hear about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. Don't sit on the couch, go hike the tundra with some binoculars see things the rest of us can only dream of, eat a seal, go Caribou tipping!

    ReplyDelete