life of a teacher just above the arctic circle...

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

my first time!

last night at midnight while i was sleeping away, my roommate, Erica, barges into my room. Herself being tired mumbles..."Mom called. The Northern Lights are big and green and dancing."

After a moment of trying to gather my mind around the idea of the northern lights at such a sleepy hour I finally leaped out of bed and rushed to my window as Erica directed me to look to the far left. And alas! The northern lights were bright green and covering a large part of the sky. But I was not satisfied with seeing just a glimpse from the window. So i hobbled down the stairs on my gimp knee, put on my boots, and rushed to the lagoon shore. there i could see so much more! they are beautiful. They were making spirals and lines and ripples that i could not tell were moving at first glance. But then if I looked at them, then looked down, when i looked back up i would be looking at a different picture. It was fabulous.  So Erica and I got in the mini van and drove up out of town a bit..just up the nearby hill. and there we sat and just watched them take new shape and form over and over again. We only stayed for about 5 minutes...but it was 5 minutes of my night well spent! As we drove it was like looking at something new each minute. When we were on the bridge over the lagoon they reflected off the water in a very cool way..and the stream of lights seemed long and to cover the whole sky. Then when we were on the hill, it looked more like a giant blob covering mostly the tundra and trailing off into the ground. I could have sat out there and watched them forever...but it was the middle of the night. and i was in my jammies. and its not that warm at night in the arctic. 


and thus..it was my first time seeing the northern lights. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment