life of a teacher just above the arctic circle...

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Halloween is always a treat. It fun. It's not my favorite holiday- but not because there is anything to dislike about it, but simply because there is Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter that are all better, and all come with a feast- but Halloween is certainly fun. One reason that I think there is something to enjoy about it is that I am given the chance to see tons of adults act just like kids. I spend all day with kids, and I get to act like a kid whenever I want to, but not all adults get to do that. I didn't dress up this Halloween (outside of school) but I did get to go out and see a plethora of costumes in Kotzebue, and on every face a smile, and cameras, and people just enjoying being in character for the evening. That is a treat.

Halloween in Kotzebue is is celebrated as follows:
1)School-wide assembly and parade in costume (I was dressed as a pirate)
2)Classroom party complete with "Magic School Bus-Haunted House!"
3) CARNIVAL- the school puts on a big carnival the Friday before Halloween each year. This is basically a giant fundraiser for the school. The teachers of the school all make their own 'carnival booth' and attempt to make money off the games or things they have designed. Its really fun. It is also insane. Everyone is there, and everyone spends TONS of money. But its neat. And the kids get another chance to wear the costumes they will have to cover with layers of warm clothes while trick or treating.
4)parites all weekend.
5)Trick-or-Treating

So, Halloween here really is no different than most Halloweens I have experienced. Same school events. Same kids costumes. Same girls dressed in almost nothing (although in much smaller doses because they often have to drive the Honda's in those teensy-weensy dresses- but there are a few determined girls), same drunken parties. The only difference is- everything to make it all happen was flown in one of 3 flights: the 151, 152, or 153 for Alaska Airlines.

Halloween is really just a marker for me. It is how I mark the beginning of the end of the first semester of each year. After Halloween its a quick push to Thanksgiving, and then I am in Christmas Bliss until Christmas Break. It has been snowing here on and off all week in order to get me REALLY psyched on christmas. :)

The weather is really beginning to change here. The ocean is frozen enough to walk on now. Snow covers everything, and there are drift piles from the wind. The temperature should be -10 at some point this week to come. It is exciting and fun. The air is cool and dry- which feels good.

I have been teaching for about 11 weeks now. I am thankful that my students and I have found a rhythm. Sometimes I think back to the beginning of the year and wonder how I earth I made with through each day, and I bet in December Ill look back at October and wonder how I made it through each day. Every day is progress, everyday we learn more and work better together. Also, everyday I have a list of things to do that just does not seem to get shorter. Everyday I have to re-think this and that. It seems just when I think I have figured it out and can stop making changes for bit and just roll with it, I think of a way I could do it better. Just when I think I can stay home for a weekend, I realize that I would really like it better a new way. I put it near 12 hour days at least 5 days a week (sometimes more like 15 hours), and often I come in on Saturday or Sunday, or both. I sometimes feel like I am putting too much of me into the classroom....

But then I remember why I came up here. I came up here to teach. I was given a great opportunity to put my whole self into the students and into becoming a successful teacher. I am able to live with few distractions and outside forces drawing me from my work. Though it seems like a lot of work- I am so very thankful for it.

 In other news-
-Seward/Anchorage with Kelsey was so much fun. It was wonderful to see a face from home in real life- not on a computer screen. It was fun to be with someone I know so well- inside and out. It was sweet to see my first moose ever, and to hang out with some trees.
-It is getting pretty dark here, the sun is rising around 10am and going to down pretty early now too. but the sun rise and sun sets are just beautiful, and last forever.
-My latest mission : photograph the Northern Lights. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment