life of a teacher just above the arctic circle...

Thursday, October 21, 2010

snow:)

It is beginning to look a lot like winter here.

 no more pretty colored tundra. no more sun before 10am. no more temperatures above freezing. the water around us has frozen. (not the ocean just yet...but its starting to!) and now...there is snow, too!

I am perfectly accustomed to snow in October. In fact, Halloween without snow just would not feel like Halloween. I love the snow. It is so sparkly, and sounds cool under your snow boots, and smells and feels so crisp and fresh. I love it. I couldn't hardly wait for it to snow (especially because below freezing without snow feels silly). So, now that it snowed. There is a pretty good chance it won't go away. There are few days that are above 32 now-a-days. So, it could potentially melt, but maybe not. The snow that fell all day yesterday whil my first graders oo-ed and ahh-ed at the winter is more than likely going to be there until Spring. When I asked someone in Anchorage on my move up what they though of Kotzebue when they visited they simply stated, "It's White."Now I know why. :)

Time to get the cross country skiis, sno-go's (snow mobiles), and snow shoes out! Its winter here!

p.s. Wildlife update! Last weekend as I visited the post office, and went to curch (both on the coast) I saw TONS of seals in the water. Literally, like 20 popping their heads up. Then we also saw them on the ice!!! The ice is kinda far off the coast, on the sand bar. But, there were like 6 seals laying on the ice soaking up the sun! That was cool.

Update on current happenings: Going to Nome tomorrow to coach volleyball. :) and going in Anchorage tomorrow night to visit Kelsey! We are going to Seward..so I can't wait!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment