life of a teacher just above the arctic circle...

Monday, March 21, 2011

March

Well Hot Dog. It is March.
March has been a whirlwind.
I ended February in style by taking a weekend trip to Alyeska, AK for some fun snowboarding, among other exciting events like a movie and dinner outings. Alyeska is a wonderful ski resort with a delicious diner at the top. But it wasn't up to par with Colorado, except for the price of that delicious diner. But, a challenging course was not on my agenda for the weekend- just a simple course did the trick.  When the jet landed in Kotzebue, it was game time.

I began March with Report Cards- which can be stressful, and time consuming. Even though I only assign grades such as N, U, I, S, and E (Needs word, Unsatisfactory, Improving, Satisfactory, and Excellent), I find myself often torn over the proper grade for a student. There are so many things to take into account- there is the actual grade given per assignment and recorded in the gradebook, there is notes and observations made during class, the conversations, their growth, etc, etc. It can be time consuming when all is said and done- don't be fooled parents: teachers do take time to do it, and they care very much what grade they give, there are just so very many variables to take into account.

After a week of reporting came a week of parent teacher conferences: no comment. We can all assume it was a blast had by all...BUT, it is always a pleasure to meet the parents of students and get to know them a bit more- always gives some insight into the child and their actions and abilities at school. Unfortunately, getting the parent to the conference is the first step in that experience, and it is much easier said than done.

After conferences I was promptly greeted with two days off (via my personal leave) to hang out with my visiting sisters and mom! HOORAY! My family came to stay for a long weekend (Thurs.-Sat.). Despite one broken arm, a few flimsy pillows, an air mattress, and a rescheduled inservice at school, the trip went swimmingly! So, we ran into a few hurdles along the way- it would not be a proper family vacation without it. For their arrival we were blessed with the most glorious, long lasting Northern Lights I have seen yet. They were unbelievable. They were colorful and dancing across the whole sky all night long. Normally, this is where I would post my amazing pictures of such an event, and brag about my sweet camera, that takes the best long exposure pictures. But not to worry, I still have not figured out how to use that thing (this weekend is promising, I hope)! It was absolutely wonderful to have them visit and see Kotzebue. I hope they enjoyed it, too.

Then, back to school Monday morning, for a quick week then our (much too short) Spring Break arrives. And I was off once again to Anchorage Airport where I spent a sleepless night playing "Words" on the guy's phone who attempted to sleep on the floor across from me. Then, on to Fairbanks Thursday morning to meet Kevin! YAY KEVIN!. That was a treat and half. We went to Chena Hot Springs, and played in Fairbanks..but that might require a whole new blot post in itself (more to come).

Now, I am back at school ready for action. There are seven short weeks remaining until school is out for summer. I find myself in a mixed state: sometimes thrilled to get the show on the road, while other moments begging God to slow it down momentarily for me to soak up all the joy that my class brings. The thought of leaving them not only for summer, but for good is breaking my heart. So, while still attempting to stay as focused as the returning sunlight will allow, we have happily decided to enjoy our classroom."We" being the kids and I. We did not discuss this, but we have grown so into each other this year that if I feel it, and I am in the mood to soak up every ounce of their love, they will dish it out in large increments. However, they will hold tight to it in moments of disagreement or frustration. So, we have worked together lately to work out the kinks and lessen any frustration. Instead of rushing through, or demanding maturity, we have taken to appreciating laughter and enjoying a good joke. Somehow we have found a way to be silly, and smart.

Or at least that is how I am feeling today- it is entirely possible that tomorrow brings a whole new me, and them, filled with something brand new altogether, and potentially frightening. Here is to hoping the joy lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment