life of a teacher just above the arctic circle...

Saturday, August 28, 2010

thank you fellow teachers.

I finished week two. it felt long at the time...but looking back, that was quick!

It was a mixture of fun and frustrating. I felt like it was more of a "daily grind" feel than the first week. I felt like I was pushing through material more than simply getting to know the students. I didn't like that as much. I felt like there were moments I was trying harder to fight the students and control the students than to be with the students learning and teaching together as a team. So that was frustrating. But as the week went on. I lightened up. I decided to quit fighting, and quit trying to do it all right, and simply do the best I could. I decided it was far more important to be a positive force in the students' lives than a controlling force. So that was my focus" to support the students." It was NOT perfect right away. And it still is a uphill battle. But, it certainly is better for everyone in the classroom. So that is what I am doing- supporting the students. Perhaps if I support them, they will support me in return? :) Still though, I feel a little be like this from time to time!....



I live with another first grade teacher here and two other student teachers. I am surrounded by teaching pretty much constantly. Obviously, when I am at school teaching is my life. I am at school at least 6 days a week. When I come home I am greeted by teachers. When I am at the AC (the store) I encounter many teachers. When I go to church, other teachers are at church. When I go for a run, other teachers are running, or berry picking, or walking. ...this is a gift from God...at least right now. You see, part of the reason I moved here was to commit myself to teaching. Back home I could teach all day, and play all night. I could easily leave the school and never think of it again until I had to be there again. I have distractions at home- tons of friends, tons of activities, and a plethora of other activities I could commit myself to. But here...there is not a lot. Except teachers. And when we get together, we talk teaching. We agonize over our tough kids, we laugh about the funny moments, we dread and dream about the year to come. We help each other on the hard days, and congratulate each other on the rather creative and outstanding moments. We giggle in the hallways as we overhear each other disciplining kids, or cheering them on. We roll our eyes at each other when the "too talkative" kids won't leave one of us alone. And at recess, we laugh about the moments that kept us going through the day.

Then when the day is done I am given a chance to connect with all the people back home I am missing. And low and behold, all of them are supporting me too! I can't thank everyone enough. It seems every corner I turn there is another person shooting advice, tips, support emails and always giving me a chance to further reflect and grow as a teacher. To all of the teachers back in Colorado, the ones I graduated with, the ones who taught me, and the ones who simply want to help. Thank you! You're support is valuable and appreciated.

Being a first year teacher. I couldn't possibly love and need this more. Sometimes I wonder what the hell I am doing in that classroom. Or ask myself "WHY DIDN"T COLLEGE PREPARE FOR THIS!?!?" or "What happens when your behavior system doesn't work!?!? What then?" But then, I hear the same questions asked from my colleagues and friends. I am able to vent about my struggles and hear constant suggestions on how to improve my teaching...I even get to give some advice out myself! I find myself in a constant state of reflection on my teaching. And I don't think I could become a successful teacher without this right now.

So to fellow teachers and supporters. THANK YOU. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment