life of a teacher just above the arctic circle...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Meet My Roommates!

For the last eight months I have been living in 3 bedroom apartment with 5 other people. I did however get lucky (newbie luck) and get the master bedroom, and thus have lived with as much space as I could possibly need, despite the large number of inhabitants in a small apartment, for so many people.

I realize you all may have hoped that I would have posted this, oh, 7 months ago. But, better late than never, right?


Roommate 1-

Name: Erica West

Age: 27

Years Lived in Kotzebue: 6

Occupation: 2/3rd grade student teacher

Information: World traveler, loves everything about Europe. Says random things in a Scottish accent (where she lives/ studies for a year). Has been a Special Education aid for a number of years, while going to school to become a teacher. Finishing degree in May. Very patient, unless you're her sister. Should go on the show Top Chef, she is a wonderful chef. Loves trashy television. Reads about a million words a minute. Is 5'2" and makes me feel like a giant when we are both brushing our teeth in the mirror at the same time. Multi-tasking queen/ procrastinating queen. Fills my late night chatting needs, and keeps me posted on the latest and greatest of Kotzebue. Coming to Colorado to visit for a whole week!


Roommate 2-

Name: Jessica West

Age: 26 (27 in a week!)

Years Lives in Kotzeube: 4(or maybe 5?)

Occupation: 3rd grade student teacher/ sarcastic mother.

Information:Has taught her kids the art of sarcasm at the ripe age of 4 and 6. Is extremely proactive in school work. Passionate about finding a job. Tired of living in Kotzebue. Loves the beach and warm places, ha! Loves to talk. Very strong, emotionally and physically. Freakishly flexible. 4'10" and REALLY makes me feel like a giant. She is a thinker, and does lots of theorizing.  Thinks outside is way cooler than inside, and would prefer not wearing clothes, to wearing them. She is a great cook, but only does so because she has to. Buys me pudding. Buys me popcorn. Helps feed my overeating habits. Gives me comic relief while at the same time, making me question some pretty important things.


Roommate 3-

Name: Fiona West

Age: 6 (nearly 7!)

Years in Kotzebue: 4

Occupation: First Grader

Information: Drama Queen. Smallest first grader that ever lived. Loves reading and writing in an almost obsessive manner. Likes playing inside just as much as outside. Does not fight her mother on most things, but LOOK OUT if she is complaining or whining, it is waterworks. Enjoys Barbies and playing cars with her brother. Loves board games. Very kind-hearted. When riding on the back of the Honda, she sings, it nearly never fails.


Roommate4-

Name: Skyler West

Age: 4

Years in Kotzebue: 4

Occupation: Preschool

Information: Wears mostly underwear when inside, and despite negative temperatures, would do so outside, if it were up to him. LOVES anything boy-ish in any way. Does not play board games well in the least. Burst into tears at any given moment, but also will be the happiest, cutest boy in the world at any given moment. Is absolutely fascinated by the idea of a trash man, trash truck, and the dump. Has an adorable lisp in his voice. Prides himself on his break dancing moves. Gives me hugs if I ask REALLY REALLY nice, and only if I ask REALLY REALLY nice, otherwise I can kiss any hugs goodbye.


Roommate 5-

Name: Camon Baker

Age: 30

Years in Kotzebue: 3 years and 2 summers previously, as well as this year (off and on for six years).

Occupation: 1st grade teacher

Information: Hated Yoga when I first introduced her to it, now loves it. Runner, Hiker, Adventurer. Loves to sing anything from Hymns to Eminem (and make fun of my singing). Family is her number 2, second to God. Teaches and reaches kids in a completely different approach than I, but it works great for her, and has opened my eyes to seeing lots of approaches to teaching. Will never ever smile in pictures. Drinks literally like 8 water bottles a day. Also drinks amazing amounts of Diet Dr. Pepper. Not 5' tall, and thus does not make me feel gigantic. Can eat just as much, and often more, than I, which also takes care of my overeating habits. Will not take disrespect from a kid, not matter the time or place. Is moving to Colorado in September!


Each person I have lived with this past year has brought something different to the table, and has added a essential part of what makes up our house. There are a lot of us in there. And there are a lot of emotions. But we have learned to support each other, and not kill one another all at once. We certainly don't all see eye to eye, and we all act and react in a number of ways. I am eternally grateful for their presence this year and know that a big reason why I have thrived here is because of their help.

No comments:

Post a Comment