life of a teacher just above the arctic circle...

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Home for the Holidays= Realization of missing facts

It's been many weeks since I wrote. That is simply because I was home for the Holidays Which, by the way, was lovely. I was free to eat at any number of restaurants, with any kind of food I could possibly desire, and drive in cars, and wear no jacket, and sleep in late, and see the sun! All wonderful treats. It was an interesting transition both back to Colorado, and back to Kotzebue.

When I first got back to Colorado, I was not thrilled to be home. The sun was too bright, the city was too much, there were too many cars blocking my view of the horizon. I couldn't watch the sun rise and I was exhausted from too much activity. BUT, that lasted about 2 days, then I was excited and pleased to see everyone, and enjoy all the thrills of life in the "lower forty eight."

Just about the time I was certain I never wanted to leave Colorado ever again, it was time to leave Colorado. DOOM. So, back in Kotzebue I find myself randomly feeling at a loss because this weekend when I wake up I won't have a single plan, a single person to see, or a thing I must do. But, I am beginning to adjust, and the first graders have already tired me out enough I might just be perfectly content sleeping for the entirety of the weekend.

While I was home I was asked a number of questions. All questions I somehow didn't see coming. For some reason I was under the impression I was thorough in my blogging- and never left the facts out. WRONG. Here lies the answer to the FAQ's. :)

1) No, there aren't polar bears. They live a little farther north for the most part. But, even if they did live right here, they would have zero reason to come to town. There are miles upon miles of open tundra and ice...no reason to go to town where they would be instantly shot.

2) Yes, my house, and most houses, are on stilts. The perma-frost in these parts is simply too much for houses to withstand. Many buildings are raised up from the ground a few feet (maybe 4?).

3)Ya know, I am not certain what everyone does for work here. There is the hospital, and the school, most of which are mostly worked by lots of people from the lower forty eight who came up for work, aside from secretaries and such. There are two stores, a post office, a art gallery, a museum, a hotel, and a few other odds and ends that need running. Other than that, there is a mine like 90(ish?) miles from here called Red Dog Mine, some people work there. There is construction currently on a new hotel (Marriot! My oh my!), and otherwise I have no idea. There is very cheap/free health care for natives, and large sums of money for different things given a few times a year- so they get a lot of help that way. But, I don't know exactly what all is done for work here in Kotzebue. I will find this out, and the answer will come!

4)The entirety of wildlife I have seen since I was here includes:
Ravens
a moose (in anchorage)
Seals
Musk Ox (in Nome)
are here, but i have not seen:
caribou
fox
walrus
Beluga Whale
Grizzly Bear
(probably more as well...)

5)YES! I do see the Northern Lights. They appear every now and then on my walk to school. But on a clear night, if I go out in the middle of the night they can be spotted often. Clear night being the key word...its not always clear here. BUT, they are usually green here. They have been pink before, but for the most part, they are green.

6) YES! I do enjoy it here. YES, I probably would do another here or so here, if it weren't for the whole getting married and have a wonderful life in Colorado awaiting me.

7) It's not the coldest place on earth. haha. It is certainly cold, but more than anything it is because of wind chill. It si often a good -10 or so but the wind chill can bring that temperature WAY down to -20's and -30's. The coldest I have felt thus far is -35 with wind chill. It will get much colder than that I hear...but currently its warmer in Kotzebue than Colorado....The interior of the state, such as Fairbanks, is much colder. I live on the coast, and the ocean helps to regulate the temperatures...so people tell me. :)

8) Most people get around town here via 4-wheeler (known as "Honda"), and Snow Machine or Snow Mobile (known as "Sno-Go") here. There are lots of cars, but it is RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE to fuel up here, so other modes are far more common. I have no form of transport myself besides my own two feet. I walk everywhere, for the most part. I do enjoy this very much though.

That is pretty much all I can recall, but I am happy and willing to answer any other questions that arise. :)

For now I am happily teaching my wonderful class of 6-7 year olds and enjoying every moment. I am readjusting to being away from my Colorado life, but still certain moving here was a wonderful choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment