life of a teacher just above the arctic circle...

Monday, January 24, 2011

Eskimo Tough

I am NOT Eskimo Tough.

Today on my walk to school, about a fifteen minute walk, I saw another Eskimo Tough individual.
I have begun to notice the true difference between me and the natives:
No, it is not our skin color, our hair color, our eye color, or our difference in language-though all of these things do set me apart- it is their sheer ability to withstand the cold, and my inability to do so.

As I walk to school, or the store, or anywhere, I proudly flaunt my whimpy Colorado self. And when I say proudly, what I mean is I almost always lower my head in shame and hope no one notices who I am under all that winter attire. When I go outside this is what I wear (usually): snow pants, two jackets (one A GIANT down), boots, thin hat, fur hat, face mask, mittens and boots. What I see many extremely tough natives wearing: a thin coat, boots. MAYBE a parka and boots (parka being a beautiful jacket lined with fur). Are they hiding from the cold? no. Can you see their face? yes. Are they freezing? God, I hope so; otherwise I am such a sorry excuse for an arctic dweller.
This is me, bundled up, after a walk home from church. I almost always collect a good hatful of frost. :)

Perhaps it is because they have lived here so long, that when the temperature hit -40 it simply seems like a chilly day; perhaps they just like to show off to all us white people how much better adapted they are; perhaps they have so much frostbite all over their face that they can't feel a damn thing. Whatever the case, well done: I have been put to shame.

By the way. It was -54 yesterday with windchill (-38 before wind factor). Today, a -50, -29 before wind.   We did an experiment yesterday...we threw boiling water into the freezing air to see what might happen. It FROZE instantly, and then, evaporated so quick it never so much as begins falling to the ground. It was fascinatingly fun. I have a video. Now, when you watch this video, be certain to look just below the top of the railing of our porch. There, under all the steam, you will notice some rather "rainlike" pieces for only a second, then they will be gone. Those are the sheets of ice that form so quick, and disappear immediately.


1 comment:

  1. Two pairs of Boots?!? Also you video link didn't work...

    Love you

    ReplyDelete